Saturday, October 16, 2004

In Opposition to Evil

Gordon B. Hinckley’s September 2004 First Presidency message, “In Opposition to Evil” struck a resonant chord in my heart. In case you missed it, here are a few highlights:

He speaks of “a weakening rot seeping into the very fiber of society.” He suggests that “the tide [of evil], high and menacing as it is, can be turned back if enough [good people] will add their strength to the strength of the few who are now effectively working.” He continues by saying “I believe the challenge to oppose this evil is one from which members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, as citizens, cannot shrink.” Further, he adds: “The building of public sentiment begins with a few earnest voices,” and “We are not likely to get that which we do not speak up for.” He advocates, “Let our voices be heard. I hope they will not be shrill voices, but I hope we shall speak with such conviction that those to whom we speak shall know of the strength of our feeling and the sincerity of our effort.” He continues on to say: “I think the Lord would say to us, ‘Rise, and stand upon thy feet, and speak up for truth and goodness and decency and virtue.’”

And thus this weblog was born. I have only been following the blogosphere for about a month now, so this will definitely be a learning experience for me, and I would ask your patience with me as I make the likely missteps of a neo-blogger in my attempts to Speak Up for Truth.
<< ? | LDS Blogs | list >>